Update to members in Tier 4
Published 10:37 on 1 Jan 2021
From 31st December 2020 only recreational boating can take place at the rvyc ; no organised events are permitted. Members can access the dinghy park and pontoon for essential maintenance and to check their boats. If you are going boating, please remember to take care - there will be no safety support by the club and you take to the water at your own risk.
The club grounds will be open to allow personal exercise within the guidelines provided by the Government. So this means 'recreational boating' is possible, but please make sure you are fully prepared for winter sailing conditions. Our advice is as follows:
- Wear appropriate clothing
- Safety cover will not be provided by the Club, so please bear in mind that if you have to call on the Coastguard/RNLI or another emergency service, you may be putting them at Covid or another risk, so please have regard for the conditions before you go afloat
- You should be self-sufficient and it is advisable to take a mobile phone or VHF and agree with a shore contact before you go
- It is advisable to stay in sight of the Club and preferably in the company of another boat
- Under the guidelines issued by the Government, organised outdoor sport for under 18s and disabled people is allowed, but at this time we do not plan to allow this at the Club until we are clear that it can be done safely. Safety is our paramount concern and all risks associated with running this type of activity will need to be mitigated.
- Experience shows that a frequent cause for rescue is gear failure. Check your equipment carefully, and if you are unsure, consider very carefully the wisdom of going afloat.
- We are a Tier 4 area, so please make sure you are abiding by the travel guidelines before you plan a visit to the club, and remember that the only permissible reason to come to the club is for exercise.
The RYA advice is that, In tier 4, crews should be:
- From the same household or support bubble, or
- Two individuals from separate households in accordance with RYA Guidance on sailing & racing with participants from different households, however, you should think very carefully about the risks to yourself and others caused by the new variant of the virus
The RYA also advises that in tier4 work or volunteering is permitted so some shoreside activities may be possible, however they recommend that these be minimised or deferred where possible.
You can read the full advice from the RYA by opening the PDF below..
Last updated 10:37 on 1 January 2021